Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Doctor Visit and Ultrasound Feb 6

Thank you for your prayers and calls and emails asking about how the last doctor´s visit went. I sent out an email on Feb. 5 to several people requesting prayer for this doctor´s appointment and the ultrasound.

*that Ruben and I would sense the Lord´s presence and that He would reassure us that He will wowrk all things to our good


*for quick rest and recuperation for Ruben who is just finishing a week-long nightshift, with the last 2 days being 12-hour night shifts


*for God´s glory to be seen during the ultrasound: that the doctors would be surprised in a positive way by the results they find


*that God would choose to heal the baby´s diaphragmatic hernia, in addition to her other symptoms


*for peace and joy for the little life within me


*for grace and confidence, praying against fear and worry


*for energy and time to take care of important planning details regarding the baby´s homegoing (i.e. passing away), whenever that may be


The morning itself went well. What I didn´t mention earlier is that I actually had 2 appointments that morning, one for the ultrasound and the other for a regularly scheduled blood analysis. Because they were scheduled so closely together, I actually didn´t get ANY time to talk withthe doctor abou tthe results that she found during the ultrasound.

When I compare the written reports (all in Catalan, of course) I see a slight difference in some numbers, but I don´t know if they indicate improvements or deterioration. Since there was no time for consultation afterward, I don´t have a lot of new news. :-(

Basically all the physical defects that the baby suffers form are still currently there. Plus, the baby is now a month behind in her growth. In the last appointment she was 2 weeks behind. This is typical of Trisomy 18 babies, who are born smaller than normal and suffer from great delays in their growth, in the womb AND after birth.

However, as the ultrasound doctor (who is not my regular doctor, but is part of her team) was recording the final data, I asked about the flow through the baby´s umbilical cord. I told her that during the last visit my doctor told me that there was NOTHING flowing thorugh the umbilical cord. This doctor said, "That would be impossible. The baby would be dead." "I know," I responded. "That´s why I want to know about any possible changes you´ve seen."

The flow through the umbilical cord is measured on a scale of 1-5, 1 being normal and 2 being "not so great" and then going downhill from there. The last report actually stated "ABSENCE of flow through the umbilical cord," and my doctor described it as a 5.

The report from this latest ultrasound states that the flow changed to a 2.34, a HUGE change on the 1-5 scale! Her report read, "A reversal in umbilical cord flow." So, that was encouraging. At least Baby Grace is still alive and moving around in there, although she´s moved around a little less this week, possibly due to all her physcial health challenges and/or possibly due to my increased busyness this week.

One other special detail is that I finally made a short video of the baby´s ultrasound, seeing her body, her slight movements and hearing her heartbeat. Another Trisomy 18 mom had suggested this after the last appointment. So, I got it and I´m so glad. It might not be so interesting for the rest of you, but I´ll share it here just to have it included in the blog:




All three of us (Ruben, Aaron and I) actually got to recuperate a little extra sleep at the beginning of the week because Aaron was apparently more tuckered-out than usualy and "slept in" an extra hour, not waking at the crack of dawn. :-)

In terms of planning details regarding this baby´s homegoing, right after the doctor´s visit, I stopped by the municipal funeral home (each city has one) to ask about the procedure and prices. (Not by coincidence, the cemetary/funeral services are just one bus-stop away from the hospital.) The person in charge was busy so I wasn´t able to get the information I wanted. I´ll have to go back another day. It actually worked out better that way. I was sad on the bus ride back home, unable to contain the flow of my tears. Yet, out of the blue, the Lord brought a song to my mind at that moment that comforted me so much:

"God will make a way where there seems to be no way.
He works in ways we cannot see. He will make a way for me.
He will be my guide, hold me closely to His side.
With love and strength for each new day, 
He will make a way. He will make a way."


I´ve received multiple gifts in the mail for Baby Grace and for the rest of us....from my mom, from my parents´church and from some special friends in Texas. I feel showered, not only with useful items, but also with love and care. Thank you for praying for God´s provision and goodness for us.

The next appointment is scheduled for Februrary 27th with my main doctor. I hope to be able to go into more detail with her regarding the baby´s growth and development.

Praise the Lord for the change in umbilical cord flow!  Whether it´s something normal that tends to occur or it´s some great miracle, God´s hand is obvious in the life of this little one.

Again, thank you so much for praying. As the Lord prompts you, please keep us in your prayers....


*for joy, for hope and for a constant practice of God´s presence
*for supportive partnership between Ruben and me
*for consisten and loving parenting from us for Aaron

Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment