Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Reaching Up To The Sky

Friday was delivery day. I didn´t sleep much the night before because I was trying to get last-minute communications out and tend to details for Aaron before leaving in the morning.

By God´s grace, Aaron slept a bit later that morning and I was able to shower in peace. (Oh how I needed a shower before heading out the door!) As I climbed into the shower, the Lord brought a powerful image to my mind regarding Rebeca´s homegoing that I wanted to share with you.

There is a great tradition that started in Tarragona, Catalunya toward the end of the 18th century called "castells" or castle-building. It is really impressive to watch the teams as the come together to build their human towers. I´ve always liked watching the "casteller" events because they are a great illustration of the power of teamwork. There is a HUGE group called a "pinya" of strong, beefy-looking adults at the base of the tower. Then, lighter, very agile young people continue to climb higher and higher, building floor upon floor of this human tower, until the smallest of the group, the "enxaneta" (often a little girl), reaches the top with her hand raised high to the roaring applause of all the crowd and the great pride of the castle-building club.

(An English report from the BBC can be seen here Catalonia´s Human Towers)

The images hold even more meaning for me now because they represent the many people, including you, that have helped to form the "pinya" or the support group at the base of Rebeca Grace´s tower through short prayers, labored prayers, kind words, thoughtful gifts, prepared food, hugs and faithful accompanying. With this base and the additional floors, we built a castle to help Rebeca Grace reach its top, to be ushered in to her home in heaven, where she is with Jesus, where she is healed of Trisomy 18, where she is now free to run and play and climb and rejoice. And there is MUCH, MUCH celebration!

Thank you for being a part of this with us! You have supported us. You have wept with us. You have encouraged us. You have cheered us on.

Below is a clip from a documentary created to display the incredible courage and determination of these castle-builders. With it I have posted the translated lyrics (to English and to Spanish) of the song in the background, "Enxaneta." While I watch in tears, thinking of my precious the little girl that I will never hold (this side of heaven), I truly do celebrate for her. I´m so proud, so proud of her to have run the course until the Lord said it was time to come home, as proud as any mother is of these little ones climbing to the tops of these castles. I´m so  happy for her to have finished her race so well!

May these images bring you great joy and celebration for you, my dear teammate, for helping us get this far in our journey with Rebeca Grace.




"Enxaneta" by  Borja Penalba

Hugging the body of the tree, I look to the sky.
The noise becomes silence in my interior.
Through my hands flows the sap that nurtures me
from an ancient history that has conquered time.
A group, a feeling, walks with me.
One heart, from the support base to the top.
Beating, it pushes me with great strength like the wind
and flying toward the clouds I touch the sky.
Raise your hand. Seize the world. Look around you.
Can you feel the peace?
Raise your hand. Touch the sky.
Raise your hand. We´re going to be here with you.
We are the celebration. We are a people on the move.
We raise castles from the dreams of the people.
From the base, firm and strong, is born a trunk,
and way at the top of the tree, I have no fear....


"Enxaneta" (Borja Penalba) 

Abrazada al cuerpo del árbol miro al cielo.
El ruido se convierte en silencio en mi interior.
Por las manos fluye la savia que me nutre
De una antigua historia que ha vencido el tiempo.
 Un grupo, un sentimiento, camina conmigo.
Un solo corazón desde la crossa* hasta la cima.
Latiendo, me empuja con fuerza como el viento
Y despegando hacia las nubes, toco el cielo.
Levanta la mano, Apodérate del mundo, Mira alrededor.
¿Puedes sentir la felicidad?
 Levanta la mano, Toca el cielo
Levanta la mano, Nosotros vamos a estar aquí contigo.
Somos la fiesta, somos un pueblo en movimiento,
Levantamos castillos de los sueños de la gente.
De la pinya**, firme y fuerte, nace el tronco,
Y subida arriba del árbol, no tengo miedo...

 * crossa: grupo de castellers que refuerzan la parte baja. ** pinya: base del castell.




No comments:

Post a Comment