Monday, January 16, 2012

Saying Goodbye Before Saying Hello

Recently we picked up a brochure, which when translated to English, is titled, Guide to the Municipal Funeral Services of Terrassa: All that you need to know in case of death.

It´s a booklet that we´ll soon need to leaf through. Even though funeral planning, especially of one´s child, is is a terrible task to have to deal with, I´m grateful for these weeks and months of relative peace beforehand to be able to prepare these details....so that when the time comes, it will already be done.

I´ve also started to explore to see if some kind of service similar to Hospice exists here in Spain. I think it does. It´s called palliative care. The world "palliative" comes from the Latin word "palliare" (the Spanish word is "ocultar") which means to cloak. 

I´m not sure what I think about the cloaking thing. It connotes covering, even hiding....but to me, it also connotes a protection, an assitance. 

When baby #2 arrives, if she lives for any time, unless the Lord heals her completely before she´s born, she will have serious health problems. Having professional medical assistance on hand could be a great help. I just hope that they will be kind too.

When Aaron was born he was in the infant ICU for 3 days. The nurses in that unit were sooooo helpful and I with all the nervousness of a new mother, I honestly felt grateful for such great attention and kindness.

So, I kind of feel like I´m walking in the dark with this topic...but I know it´s necessary and think it´s better to think through early on. Once it´s prepared I can put it in a drawer until it´s time. My hope is that we will have lots of time with our little girl before we have to say good-bye.


1 comment:

  1. Your last paragraph is so wise here. Once you prepare for the worst, then everything else is a blessing. That was what we found.

    ReplyDelete