Saturday, January 7, 2012

When the Support Is Not There

Yesterday evening was hard.

Some people, very close to Ruben and me, have chastized us (mostly Ruben...and I heard it from him) for choosing to carry out this pregnancy. They called us, mostly Ruben, irresponsible.

It was unsolicited advice.

It was very hurtful, especially since they have done no research of our baby´s diagnosis, no investigation of other cases of Trisomy 18. They did not ask us about how we are doing, about how we came to our decision. They did not ask about anything really.

I took it very personally and became VERY angry. The good thing is that I walked out before opening my mouth.

This couple is currently experiencing lots of stress due to a recent death in the family and another gravely ill family member.

Later, as I was washing dishes the Lord whispered to me last night very clearly...."They do not understand what is happening. They are weary. They too are afraid. Don´t take it to heart. They´ll come around."

I have had anger issues for a lot of my adult life. Maybe this journey of discovery and brokenness will help me grow in that....help open up a new channel for grace instead of unforgiveness and condemnation.

One of my favorite Trisomy 18 stories is that of Eliot and  his parents Matt and Ginny Mooney. They seem to be an amazing couple.


Since Eliot´s passing, they have had one daughter, one son and have just adopted a girl from Ukraine. They have had a lot of support on their journey. I´m praying that the Lord will raise up the emotional and practical support that we need for however long our baby is with us.

(To read more about Eliot´s life, click here. To read more about this family, click here.)


No comments:

Post a Comment